Best Whole House Sediment Water Filter System
Do you want to avoid drinking or cooking with unsafe water? The best way to make sure you’re using safe tap water every time is through a whole house sediment filter system.
What is a whole house filter?
A Whole House Sediment Water Filter System is a filtered system that cleans all the water in your house before it enters outlets like faucets or showers.
Drinking water that is filtered through a system will improve the taste and smell, reduce harmful contaminants in your drinking water, and make it safe for consumption. Aside from this, filtered water also reduces hardness. This means you’ll experience laundry with fewer stains on them and clothes will be softer to touch as well as being less likely to develop wrinkles.
Do I Need a Whole House Water Filter?
Water that residents get from the municipal water system may be worse than if they would take the groundwater from their backyard. One way to tell if a whole-house water filtration system is necessary is by testing your water source. Residents can do this either by using home water test kits or just examining it closely with your senses (especially with sight).
Depending on the results of your tests, you may notice one of the following facts.
- The chlorine in your water is toxic.
- The water has a high level of bacterial contamination.
- You smell or taste funny water.
- The water has small particles floating in it.
If you notice just one of the previous facts, there is a good chance that using an entire house water filtration system is your best bet. You can go for point-of-use solutions like under-sink filters mounted under the sink, or even faucet filters and shower filters.
Whole House Sediment Water Filtration System
The market has flooded recently with myriad of water filtration systems. It is likely to get lost as which is best for you, and this article reviews the Best Whole House Sediment Water Filter System—as reviewed by customers—to help you make your decision.
Whole House Water Filter System
The Springwell company offers the highest-rated and best-priced system in the industry. The Springwell Whole House Filtration System is a 1,000,000-gallon system utilizing four stages of filtration, premium coconut carbon, and KDF media. It removes harmful chemicals such as chlorine, lead, and heavy metals. It will also remove contaminants including chloramine, VOCs, pesticides, halo acetic acids, bad odor, taste, and controls the growth of bacteria.
What you Get
You won’t need to plug that filter into the electric network. It doesn’t require electricity, and this is an advantage in terms of safety and economy. You also get a 6-month money-back guarantee, but the best part is that the unit has a lifetime warranty.
The SpringWell System comes with an easy installation kit as well as a guide on installing it yourself or hiring a professional.
What We Didn’t Like
There are two minor inconveniences that we wanted to mention:
- The carbon media inside the large tank must soak in water for at least two days before installation.
- Once installed, it can take a bit to get all of the carbon fibers flushed out.
- Stainless steel body: will last a long time.
- Complete set: everything you need for the installation will be in there
- Thorough filtration – you will get fresh water at home for all purposes. No chlorine.
- No electricity needed
- 5-micron filter
- Lifetime Warranty
- Not the cheapest unit on the market
- Comes with only 1 filter
- The body can be heavy to lift as it is steel made
Filtersmart Whole House Water Filter System
This system combines effectiveness and longevity as it gives you about 1 million gallons of cleansed water during its lifespan. This is because of its top-class coconut activated carbon filter, which lies inside those tanks.
Jacobi processes the carbon, and this is a sure sign of quality. The system also features a sediment pre-filter which will remove all the large particles and debris from the water before it makes its way to the coconut filter.
- Whole house water filtration
- Clean, delicious water at every tap
- One easy, convenient filter, 100% maintenance-free
- Simple in/out a design for easy installation
- Enjoy softer skin and hair during showers
- All-natural coconut shell carbon for spring-like water, full of natural minerals
The pre-filter will need replacement every 8-10 months. The size of the tanks depends on the set you want to pick. The regular option is the one that covers 1-3 bathrooms. FilterSmart, however, allows you to cover 4-6 bathrooms with a bigger filter.
AquaOx Water Filtration System
This system requires you to spend a sizable sum of money. However, it’s worth spending because you get quite an impressive result. First of all, you will never spend a dime on new filters and replacement cartridges. The system has its backwash mechanism, which refreshes the filtration and allows the unit to keep doing what it does best.
AquaOx Whole House Water Filter is a 7-stage filtration that guarantees purified water without heavy metals, sediment, and pesticides. The water from every tap at your home will be softer and fresher. This is turn, will affect your health in the best way possible.
The filtration involves stages which we discuss below:
- A pre-sediment filter: the first stage gets rid of all the larger particles and solids.
- KDF 55: this stage focuses on filtering out metals such as mercury and lead. It will also prevent various bacteria from forming.
- KDF 85: this stage gets rid of Hydrogen sulfide.
- The Garnet stage: this one will assist the pre-sediment filter when it comes to removing various solids.
- Catalytic adsorptive carbon: this is where the real magic happens. Your water will be free of chlorine and chloramine after this stage. Additionally, some VOCs get removed.
- Activated coconut shell carbon: this is a reasonably well-known stage in any whole house water filtration system. It will further remove chlorine, VOCs, and solvents.
- Filter-AG: the last part of the filtration will also enhance the water pressure that you get from your tap.
The Fleck Digital head is an excellent addition to the unit as it allows you to customize the way it works. When it comes to size, you got two options – regular and XL. The latter will give you a GPM of 37 and will be able to cover a large home with at least four bathrooms.
iSpring WGB32B Whole House Water Filtration System
This system got equipped with gradient three-stage filtration with aid in removing sediment, chlorine, rust, herbicides, an industrial solvent, VOCs, and various other contaminants. With 1″ NPT inlet/outlet hence has minimum impact on water flow (up to 15 GPM) and requires minimum maintenance.
These stages are:
- The first stage housing holds a 5-micron high-capacity polypropylene sediment filter- this filter removes dirt and other various larger-sized particles from the water that can clog the following filters.
- The second stage of the WGB32B-PB houses a 5-micron CTO coconut shell carbon block filter- this is for maximum filtration efficiency and filter life.
Note: both stages are NSF/ANSI certified
The 3rd stage filter (FCRC25B) lead and iron removal filter is specially designed for reducing lead and iron: this filter features a high capacity of 15,000 ppm for lead, effectively reducing the lead to below 15 parts per billion
iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage 20 Big Blue Whole House Water Filter
Say goodbye to smelly, bad-tasting water! This system removes up to 99% of chlorine from water as well as sediment, rust, pesticides, herbicides, industrial solvents, VOCs, and various other contaminants. This system gets installed at the main water supply line to treat all the water in your home.
The iSpring WGB22B Whole House Water Filter functions through two stages to remove contaminants from the water in your entire household.
These stages are:
- The first stage high capacity polypropylene sediment filter can achieve filtration down to 5 microns.
- The second stage CTO Carbon Block filter is of high-quality coconut shell carbon for maximum filtration efficiency and filter life.
Both filters have a capacity of 100,000 gallons of water, enough to supply a family of four with clean water for a full year. The cartridges are individually wrapped to ensure freshness. You are advised to unwrap the cartridges before use.
Watts WH-LD Premier Whole House Water Filter System
This is the highest-rated whole house water filtration system on our list. It’s also the most popular model. Part of the reason for this model’s popularity is certainly its low starting price, and the other part is its effectiveness.
This system comes with stainless steel inserts for an easy and leak-free installation. Unlike plastic inserts, these are more durable, and they are less prone to cracks over time.
Note: this model is both NFS tested and certified.
iSpring WGB21B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filter
The iSpring WGB21B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filter serves to keep the water in your entire household clean and healthy. Unlike an RO system, this system will NOT reduce TDS. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is a measurement of everything in your water, both good and bad. It’s not an accurate measure of water quality.
The two stages of filtration remove up to 95% of VOCs, sediment, chlorine, and other contaminants that cause foul tastes and odors. Also, it has 50,000-gallon capacity 4.5″X10″ replaceable filters that can provide up to a full year of clean water for a family of four.
The installation process is relatively straightforward, which means that you will be able to perform it yourself. It comes pre-assembled from right to left, but you could switch the bracket the other way around.
- Construction: This whole house filter is part of a sturdy housing and solid metal brackets. If you change the filters regularly, it should last for years.
- Colored Housing: It would have been more convenient if the housing was transparent so that you could see when the filter gets clogged and ready for a change.
Express Water Heavy Metal Whole House Water Filter
This system has a three-stage filtering system that eliminates more contaminants. They come in the following order: Sediment Filter goes to the right, the Kinetic Degradation Filter is in the center, and the Activated Carbon Block is on the left. Each one of those takes care of various particles. The Sediment Filter removes sand, rust, and dirt, while the KDF and the ACB eliminate different chemical elements that are damaging to the water.
It is difficult to determine the lifespan of the filters because it depends on the quality of your water and the number of people in the family. Usually, a family of four would use a set of three filters for a full year. After that, you will need to replace them.
- 3-Stage Filter: The benefit of a 3-stage filter is that it will naturally remove more harmful particles, and after the third layer, the water will come out clearer.
- Pressure: At the second stage of the filtering process, the water pressure might drop quite a bit.
Home Master HMF2SmgCC Whole House Two Stage Filtration System Water Filter
Some water filters only address taste impurities, but Home Master’s two-stage filtration system tackles so much more. Its multi-gradient sediment filter removes suspended particles down to one micron. The special KDF85/catalytic carbon filter eliminates up to 95-percent of both chlorine and chloramine as well as industrial chemicals and heavy metals, including lead, copper, and mercury.
The catalytic carbon filter used by this system has a water filtering capacity of 95,000 gallons, so it should provide filtered water for a year or more, depending on your consumption.
Home Master’s HMF2SMGCC is a dual-stage, whole-home filter consisting of a metal frame and two filter cartridges in food-safe plastic housings. Installed, it weighs less than 40 pounds, and its 9 x 18 x 25-inch size makes it a top choice for small spaces. Allow six inches in all directions for installation and maintenance.
Homeowners with plumbing skills report they can install it in the morning, but as an inline filter, it’s integrated into your main water line. Cutting pipe and soldering fittings is part of the job, so consider hiring a professional if you’re not comfortable with that.
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
Unlike other water filters that ensure a good flow rate of 15 gallons per minute, this model goes the extra mile and delivers one of 20 gallons of filtered water per minute. This is a huge water flow, so you shouldn’t experience a drop in water pressure even if you use more faucets at the same time.
This system uses water filters that should last for a year or more in a typical outset, and changing them is very easy. You just have to twist them off and twist new ones in their place. Thus, low maintenance cost.
- Great Filter: Not only is this water filter very effective at removing contaminants from the water, but it’s very easy to change as well. The filter will last for a year or more, and changing it will only take up to 3 minutes.
- Needs Help with highly Polluted Sources: You should combine this filter with a sediment pre-filter if your water is highly polluted.
Springwell Water Filter and Salt-Free Water Softener
SpringWell’s CF1 model is our overall top pick for whole house city water filtration systems.
Using innovative technology to go the extra mile to bring clean water to homeowners, Springwell Water has received some of the best water filter reviews from consumers.
This CF1 whole-home model from Springwell contains a catalytic coconut shell carbon filter and authorized KDF (Kinetic Degradation Fluxion) media to focus on and take away harmful water contaminants like chlorine, chloramine, PFOA, PFAS PFOS, pesticides, herbicides, haloacetic acids, and more.
- Tense home water filters feature a four-stage proprietory ActivFlo water filtration system.
- It filters up to 1,000 000 gallons of drinking water.
- It has a 9 GPM (gallons of water per minute) flow.
- The operating water pressure is between 25 and 80 PSI.
- Media changes or replacements occur every ten years or 1,000 000 gallons.
- Four stage water filter uses premium coconut carbon filters and KDF media to remove chlorine, heavy metals like lead, pesticides, haloacetic acids, and VOCs from drinking water, which also prevents the growth of bacteria.
- It has the foremost extended filter life, and you’ll expect to ascertain no drop by water pressure until it’s filtered 1 million gallons of water.
- When you purchase one of these units, you’ll receive a 6-month satisfaction guarantee, a lifetime warranty on the parts, an installation kit, and a guide for the installation. It’s DIY-friendly.
- One of the larger filters on the list
- Lacks a filter replacement
Springwell Whole House Water Filter System
This model utilizes the latest technology in water filtration and features a more economical and environmentally friendly well water system design.
If you have a home with a private well and have iron, Manganese, sulfur, or a combination of these water contaminants, then this system is going to be your best option.
This Springwell System removes up to eight ppm of sulfide, up to 7 ppm iron, and one ppm of Manganese from the beverage. It also requires no maintenance and can be set to have a daily backwash to remove the accumulated contaminants and replenish the filter media bed. The regeneration process also adds a fresh air pocket to the system, which removes the sulfur smell you may have.
- Ideal for homes with between one and four bathrooms
- Six-month money-back guarantee and lifetime warranty
- Removes up to eight ppm of sulfide, seven ppm of iron, and one ppm of Manganese
- The innovative Bluetooth head allows users to control the filtration system using an app.
- The installation kit contains an electronic head, 50′ drain line, bypass valve, and hose clamp.
- The flow rate is 12 GPM.
- Easy to install
- Removes up to 8 ppm of Hydrogen Sulfide
- Uses 4-step Air Injection Oxidizing Filter System that’s an efficient and cost-effective system for the removal of Iron, Sulfur, and Manganese
- Requires no maintenance and can be set to have a daily backwash to remove the accumulated contaminants and replenish the filter media bed
- Lacks a filter replacement
- More expensive unit
Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System
The sediment filter (pre-filter) of the Aquasana Rhino EQ-1000 has a filter life of three to six months with city water and one to three months with well water. It removes impurities to as low as 5 microns.
Its post-filter has a filter life that lasts six to 12 months with city water and two to six months with well water. A carbon sub-micron filter reduces chlorine and organic impurities within the water right down to 0.35 micron, significantly impacting the water’s taste.
The Aquasana Rhino whole house water filter is an excellent option for consumers looking for a four-stage water filter system that improves water quality when filtering water. It’s also an optimal choice for those concerned about the chlorine, heavy metals, and other contaminant levels in their water.
- 90-day money-back guarantee and Aquasana 10 year warranty
- Removes up to 97% of chlorine and reduces heavy metals, lead, pesticides, and more
- Installation kit includes brass fittings, post-filter, 20″ pre-filter, bend supports, and shut-off valves
- Its flow rate is 7 GPM
- It features a 1,000 000 gallon the Aquasana 10 year filter capacity
- It is excellent at filtering microscopic particles
- Takes care of all your water filtration and softening needs in one whole house system
- One of the heaviest units
- A low flow capacity of just 7 GPM
Home Master Whole House Three Stage Water Filtration System with Fine Sediment
Municipal water treatment facilities generally add chlorine or chloramines to sterilize water supplies. However, if you’re looking to improve the purity of your drinking water, a top priority is often removing chlorine, chloramines, and other contaminants.
Chloramine is a residual disinfectant that can be more difficult to remove from the water, but this whole home water filter is equipped with KDF85 filtration media and catalytic carbon to remove both chlorine and chloramines. It also proves to be a superior filter for sulfide, which may give water an unpleasant taste and odor.
- Home Master Whole House systems feature massive filter housings with 1-inch ports, which deliver the strongest water pressure possible — up to 15 gallons per minute
- A coconut shell carbon filter purifies up to 95,000 gallons of water before needing to be replaced — providing a full year of clean water for a family of four.
- This Whole House system removes up to 95 percent of sediment, chemicals, and other contaminants that create foul tastes and odors.
- Multi-gradient density replaceable sediment filters produce finer filtration and greater dirt-holding capacity.
- Easy to setup
- Improves water quality
Express Water Whole House Water Filter
The Express Water Whole House 3 Stage Water Filter removes major contaminants from your water supply and provides clean water for drinking, showering, cooking, and other home uses. This system removes major water contaminants like Chlorine, Rust, Pesticides, Dirt, Sand, Insecticides, Silt, Turbidity, Volatile Organic Chemicals, Herbicides, Cloudiness, Industrial Solvents, Total Organic Carbon, Pharmaceuticals, Turbidity, Odors, and Cloudiness.
- Simple twist off housings and drop-and-go filter design takes the effort out of your filter change
- Three accessible pressure release buttons for easy filter removal
- Freestanding Stainless Steel Frame: Makes your installation and filter changes easier while adding a protective buffer for your system.
- Clear 1st Stage Filter Housing: The easiest way to see when you need a filter change.
- Pressure Gauge Monitoring: We include a pressure gauge for each filter for easy system monitoring
- Easy to install
- Well made
Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Heavy Duty Water Filtration System
The Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Water Filtration System is not only for humans but also for appliances or machines. This unit is an excellent choice for the RV. Out of its amazing features, this unit features a visible sump. It let you view the process of filtration. With premium quality, it is offering outstanding results. Indeed, it is appreciated by most users.
On its front, it allows the valve also as a changeable filter. There is a timer so you would know when it has to change. Like other high-end models, this unit will take care of dirt, sand, bad taste, and other chemical odors. Besides that, this unit is additionally offering a housing wrench, a filter life motor, the battery also as a mountain bracket.
- Heavy-duty Water Filter
- Temperature range: 40°F – 100°F
- From 30 to 100 PSI pressure range and between 40 degrees F to100 degree F temperature range
- It comes with a mounting bracket, housing wrench, filter life monitory, and filter battery monitor
- Product dimensions: 7.5 x 8.3 x 16.3 inches
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Best for sediment problem of water
- Strong and ridged
- LED indicator to tell filters need to be changed
- Great quality for its price
- Easy to install, strong and sturdy bracket
- Need a very careful installation as plastic threads may be ripped or crack which leads to leakage.
- Plastic nipples at the inlet and outlet
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick Change Water Filter System
Another good choice is 3M Aqua-Pure for whole-house installation. This unit ensures you get all hard water characteristics by eliminating all the sediments. This water softener is also protecting water from appliance plumbing fixtures at your home. Not only the appliance, but it would also be a perfect unit for pipes.
Unlike other models listed on this page, this unit is offering great taste regardless of where you are drinking water from your home. Additionally, it is lifted with a feature name sanitary Quick-change design. Besides that, it is the best camping world water softener.
- It comes with sweat in place filtration mechanism
- Made of high-quality construction due to chrome steel body
- With a high flow rate of up to 75 liters per minute
- Offering Sanitary Quick change design
- Eliminate all chlorine taste, odors, and sediments
- Strong and durable
- Best for removing the smell and feel of chlorine from the water
- Easy to replace cartridges
- Virtually spill-free
- Easy to manage and clean
- Fast water flow rate
- New filters are a bit costly
- Water pressure becomes low within a couple of weeks because the filter gets dirty
APEC Water Systems WH-SOLUTION
This water filtration system cleans and filters your water so efficiently that it removes maximum sediments, dirt, odors, taste and even softens the water. This, in turn, weakens your hair and skin making it healthier and less prone to dryness and infection. The first stage of water filtration uses high-grade catalytic granular carbon that removes chloramines, chlorine taste, odors, and dangerous VOCs and THMs.
- It has automatic cleaning feature maintenance a piece of cake
- The high-quality water that it provides not only keeps your skin and hair healthy but also keeps your fruits and vegetables safe to eat
- There is no need to worry that you may be consuming pesticides or industrial solvents anymore.
- These substances accumulate in your body and can prove to be fatal if consumed for long periods
- The filter features a salt-free water conditioning system that softens your water without the utilization of salts.
- Easy to install
- Well made
Not all households need the same whole house water filters. Even though all models work in the same way, the presence or absence of additional filters will influence the types of contaminants a certain filter will remove from the water. However, there are some things you should take into consideration, no matter how many filters the system uses.
Smaller households might manage using a water filter capable of producing only 10 gallons of water per minute, but larger ones surely won’t. If you know your household usually consumes large volumes of water at the same time, you should buy a unit capable of producing a better water flow.
Depending on the results of your water tests, you should buy a unit that will be effective on the contaminants already present in your water. If there is high heavy metal contamination, a normal unit with a copper-zinc mineral filter might suffice. However, if you have high bacterial contamination, you might need a unit with a UV filter.
It might seem like a good idea to choose a cheap filter, but if your household uses a lot of water, you might have to change it once every month.
The best filters available will block anything larger than 0.35 microns. As you might expect, they are more expensive than filters that block only particles larger than 1 micron. A micron is a thousandth of a millimeter, so it’s already pretty small. If you don’t have a highly contaminated source, a 0.35-micron filter might be overkill.
Clean water is important to take care of the standard and efficiency of your home appliances. You do not want a heater or machine getting damaged or expensive clothes getting worn due to mere sediments or dirt. To prevent this, a suitable water filter is of immense importance.
You may need to examine your water before choosing which system to buy. You may also consider purchasing the items we have reviewed for the best result.