When setting up for a hike or backpacking trip, the first item to attach itself to you will be your Boxer. And because your underwear is a next-to-skin base layer, it needs to function well. It should be breathable, moisture-wicking, fast-drying, and — ideally — it should not feel damp or cold when wet.
Choosing the best mens underwear for hiking that will prevent chafing while on the trail should be the first thing you think of when packing and then you should never have to think about your private regions again!
It’s vital to keep your precious gems clean and dry by choosing the best men’s hiking underwear. Then no more chaffing, no more rubbing, and no more moldy stinky smells.
Best Boxer Briefs for Hiking
As with any piece of technical clothing, deciding what is the right underwear depends largely on where you will be hiking and in what season. In this article, we’ll guide you through the best hiking underwear available out there, taking into account budget, style, and materials. Whether you are out camping for the weekend or setting out for a multi-day alpine trek, we have you covered.
Icebreaker Merino Men’s Anatomica Boxer Underwear
The Icebreaker Anatomica Boxer Briefs are a quality pair of merino underwear. With flatlock seams, open fly, relatively snug fit, and comfortable waistband these boxers are pretty much on par with our top pick the Smartwool Merino 150 Boxer Briefs.
They also use corespun merino (with a nylon core to increase durability). This helps to increase durability, but even with a nylon core, merino boxers are still going to be more fragile than purely synthetic boxers.
- Features corespun fabric with nylon and elastane for next to skin softness
- They use 85% merino wool and less synthetic material than the traditional outdoor standard
- Naturally antimicrobial
- Flat-lock seams
Smartwool Men’s Merino 150 Boxer Brief
Smartwool makes some of the best baselayers for hiking, backpacking, and traveling. Their merino is comfortable against the skin, their fits are slim but relaxed, and — perhaps best of all — their garments are extremely durable for merino. And these Smartwool boxers are no exception.
These merino boxers use a slim fit that will be suitable for most, but also allow some breathing room so that your special parts can catch some air when you’re working up a sweat on the trail. The airy fit is also ideal for multi-day backpacking trips where — let’s be honest — we might not have a fresh pair of underpants to chuck on each morning
Even better, Smartwool uses flatlock seams throughout, which helps to minimize any chance of chaffing. They also use merino lined, and wide, waistband. This design means that the waistband won’t rub and irritate your lower back under the weight of your pack like the waistband on many boxers can.
- Machine Wash
- Fully functional fly
- Merino-covered elastic waistband
- Flatlock seam construction designed to minimize chafing
- Flat-lock seams
- Naturally antimicrobial
- A bit costly
ExOfficio Men’s Give-N-Go Sport Mesh Boxer Brief
The ExOfficio Give-n-Go Boxer Briefs are extremely popular amongst both hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts. ExOfficio offers two options: a standard model and a “sport mesh” model. Our preference is for the latter. Both the standard model and the sports mesh model are from nylon with a small percentage of lycra spandex. However, the sports mesh has a more lightweight and breathable weave.
There are some sacrifices in durability if you opt for the sports mesh model. The fabric tends to pill a bit, whereas this doesn’t seem to be the case with the standard model. However, this doesn’t affect performance. Although more durable, we find that the standard model is heavyweight and slow drying compared to the sports mesh.
- Odor resistant
- Quick dry
- Lower rise
- Active fit
- Cheaper than merino
- Less comfortable than merino
EYUSHIJIA Men’s 4 Pack Comfortable Bamboo Fiber Modal Boxer Briefs
For that cotton-like feel with the athletic performance of modern sports clothing, look no further than bamboo. Yes, bamboo! Much like modern merino wool, bamboo fabric is naturally moisture-wicking and antibacterial.
These Eyushijia Bamboo Boxer Briefs are comprised of 95% bamboo and 5% spandex for a fit and feel you’d never expect. Some other great benefits to the bamboo fabric are that it is hypoallergenic, UV-protecting, and relatively eco-friendly.
Excellent for hiking and daily use, these bamboo briefs are quite comfortable in any situation. Unique among the underwear on this list, these Eyushijia Bamboo Boxer Briefs get equipped with dual supportive pouches that separate your bits into their comfy cradles. That may sound odd if you’ve never tried it before, but user reviews agree that it’s a welcome design that provides surprising benefits.
- Machine Wash
- Colors may vary, bright fashion colors.
- Comfortable soft waistband to eliminate pinching and binding
- Gentle machine wash in cold to maintain maximum performance and recovery
- Softest, silkiest, and creamiest on your skin underwear ever made
- Body modal underwear trunks feature a body-defining fit.
New Balance Men’s 6″ Boxer Brief Fly Front with Pouch
Another budget-friendly option that will perform 98% as well as the top picks on our list, New Balance Boxer Briefs are breathable, quick-drying, and unlikely to cause any unwanted chafing. Keep it basic and cheap by ordering an inexpensive multi-pack of this versatile underwear.
- Made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex
- These briefs are tagless and breathable
- A lightweight 4-way stretch supports your every move
- A quick-wicking design and mesh gusset moves sweat away from your body which will keep you cool and dry
- These boxers feature an elastic waistband for added flex
- Comfortable and stays dried and cool
- Nice product at a great price
Saxx Men’s Underwear
While the Saxx Kinetic Boxer Briefs took our top performance pick award, we think most people will be happier with these Saxx Vibe Boxer Briefs. Why? Because most people aren’t high-performance athletes, even if they wish they were.
The Saxx Vibe is of more comfortable material than the Kinetic that is softer on the skin, and though it won’t stand up as well to the rigors of extreme outdoor athleticism, it will still fair very well on the trail for the average hiker.
- The form-fitting boxer briefs are from super soft moisture-wicking fabric and got designed with no fly, anti-roll waistband, and 5″ seam for a comfortable fit.
- This underwear has a three-D fit for complete ergonomic comfort, and Flat Out Seams to prevent irritation.
- The easy-care boxers are machine wash and tumble dry for zero hassle
Adidas Men’s Sport Performance Boxer Briefs Underwear
These Adidas briefs get designed to keep you cool, dry, and comfortable while walking. adidas Boxer Brief is lightweight and comes with smooth non-chafing stitching.
Also, it offers a no-ride-up leg construction and breathable performance polyester fabric for superior moisture management under any climate.
If you want decent hiking boxers that don’t specialize in anything (but offer an upgrade from day-to-day boxers), these are an excellent choice. But if you’re seeking something more specialized and specific, these aren’t a great option.
- Smooth for wearing with great comfort
- Material: 91% Polyester, 9% Spandex
- Sweat absorbing and keep fit
- Easy to wash and fast-drying material.
- Perfect fitting
- Adidas brand
- Good durability
- Very comfortable
- Many different color options
- Very affordable
- Keep moisture away
- Limited sizes
- Available in 2 or 4 pack only
DAVID ARCHY Men’s Underwear
They’re also a great choice for versatility – they come in three different structure options: mesh with no fly, mesh with the fly, and solid with no fly.
Because these are more affordable, they are of course built with lesser quality. They aren’t Merino Wool. Instead, they’re made with polyamide and Spandex.
Even though they’re of slightly lesser quality, they still perform surprisingly well for the price point. They’re breathable, they’re fast-drying and they have a roomy crotch. They have a snug fit and the build is fairly good at stopping you from getting too sweaty.
- Machine Wash
- Three Versions Available: Mesh-No Fly, Solid-No Fly, and Mesh-With Fly
- High technology fast-drying fabric is breathable and quickly dry to keep you cool and fresh
- Longer legs for full fitting support making a perfect choice for your favorite sports activity
- Very affordable
- Good versatility, with many color and size options
- A good introduction to lightweight, exercise-friendly underwear
- Don’t perform as well as pricier options, so they aren’t fantastic, they’re just good
- They bunch up quite often
- The sizing is a little off
Under Armour Men’s Compression Shorts
Another great sweat-wicking underwear is the Under Armour HeatGear thigh-length boxer briefs. The inseams are strategically placed in areas that are not sensitive and the panels encourage ventilation of your gems. The anti-odor technology prevents odor and reduces smell while the moisture-wicking fabric dries your sweat fast.
The patented HeatGear fabric made of a stretch-mesh gusset provides good ventilation in your special region to prevent heat build-up while being tough enough to protect them and provide special Under Armour compression. In addition to backpacking and trekking, they are also amazing to use in playing sports.
- Elastic closure
- Tough, lightweight HeatGear fabric, with all the performance benefits of UA Compression
- Stretch-mesh gusset & inseam panels deliver strategic ventilation
- The updated ergonomic design keeps seams off high abrasion areas & increases durability
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every direction
SAXX Underwear Men’s Briefs
This famous design gets patented BallPark Pouch made of a fine mesh that provides lift and support. It allows free movement without restrictions no matter what you’re doing. But it is a little smaller in the seat region and tends to ride up in the back while bending.
Made of Viscose and Spandex, the material is soft on your sensitive region, and the flat outseams of this moisture-wicking underwear keep you comfortable, sweat-free, and chafe-free. If you prefer that your boys have their own individual space/rooms and stay cool, the SAXX Underwear Mens Ultra Brief Fly is the ideal choice!
- Designed for easy movement, these men’s briefs keep you comfortable all day, every day.
- The men’s underwear briefs are from super soft moisture-wicking fabric.
- This underwear has a three-D fit for complete ergonomic comfort, and Flat Out Seams to prevent irritation. The men’s bikini briefs are machine wash and tumble dry for zero hassle
Arc’teryx Phase SL Boxer Men’s
These get crafted from something a little different: a silk-weight Plastic material which is 100% polyester material that draws the moisture from the skin and across the surface of the material for quicker drying. This pair of underpants are certainly not restrictive, increasing the amount of natural airflow that gets to your lower regions.
The extra-fast drying capacity of these underpants is their best feature, with a membranous material that disperses the moisture quicker, allowing you to have longer and more comfortable hikes. Phase Technology is breathable and gives the user greater freedom of movement.
- Moisture-wicking Breathable
- Lightweight Quick-drying
- Mechanical stretch textile for unrestricted mobility
- Flatlock construction improves next-to-skin comfort Stretchy fabric allows you to move more freely Anatomical shaping for fit and comfort
- With flatlock seams and a stylish, comfortable waistband, these boxers are perfect for more vigorous forms of outdoor activities.
- Not only is the material super-thin, but it is also very durable, with quick-drying properties that will ensure that moisture gets transferred speedily through the material.
- The material of the Arc’teryx is not antimicrobial, so they will require frequent washing in between uses.
Lucky Brand Mens Cotton Stretch Boxer Briefs Underwear
Lucky Brand is specially designed for active men who want comfort, support, and flexibility. You shouldn’t have to worry about chafing and moisture making you uncomfortable while working out, running, playing sports, or simply at work.
- Cool and dry: that is how you should feel and with quick-drying
- Soft and comfortable
- Quality material that won’t fade
- Stylish designs, great colors, and pattern design prints so you can look and feel your best
- Reinforced pouch for extra support and cover stitching that won’t dig in
Fruit of the Loom Men’s Coolzone Boxer Briefs
These boxer briefs are of mesh fly that provides ventilation and support right where you need it. With no-ride up legs and strategically placed breathable mesh, our cooling boxer briefs will keep you cool and comfortable all day. Each pair features dual defense technology, designed to help keep you dry and fresh
Fruit of the Loom Breathable Boxer features cotton mesh fabric that promotes airflow preventing you from getting hot. Moisture-wicking technology distributes sweat away from the skin, keeping you dry throughout the day. These boxer briefs hit mid-thigh and have a contoured leg design to prevent ride-up
- Machine wash warm gentle cycle
- 5 Pack
- Soft, Fabric covered waistband
- Legs don’t ride up
Separatec Men’s Underwear
The briefs have an ‘Ezy-off tag’ which is a nice touch. There’s nothing more annoying than having to cut off a tag with scissors but you can never quite get it all off so the remnants of the tag dig into your lower back all day. The tag comes all the way off with one quick peel.
- You can choose either colorful or all black with a colored waistband
- The briefs feature a 6.5-inch leg and are 96% cotton and 4% spandex
- The fabric is ‘cotton stretch’ which is quite comfortable
- Dual pouches do separate your junk. It takes a little while to get used to
- The support and breathability make them feel so much more natural than conventional briefs
- They don’t bunch up in the crotch area like many other boxer briefs
- The briefs kept their shape after several wears
- The fabric has a quality feel and feels nice against your skin
- The separation does take some time to get used to
- The pouch can form quite a noticeable bulge in your crotch area depending on what you’re wearing over the top of them
Runderwear Men’s Boxer Briefs
The Runderwear Briefs are the classic-fitting favorite of many athletes who don’t like the extra material on the legs of boxer shorts but still require the same comfort and performance. Finishing higher on the leg, the Runderwear Briefs provide exceptional support and keep everything in place. This keeps you focused on achieving your best with minimal distractions.
The durable fabric has been engineered for its excellent moisture management properties, moving excess sweat away from the skin and drying quickly so you stay comfortable and focused. Additionally, carefully placed micro-perforations gives great breathability and works to keep your temperature regulated so you stay cool when it’s hot and warm when it’s cold.
- Multi-award winning running underwear designed for ultimate comfort and performance
- Lightweight, breathable and moisture-wicking technical construction keeps you chafe-free
- Elasticated waistband and super-soft fabric provide comfortable support during exercise
- Made using 360° seamless technology with flatlock edging – no side seams or tags reduces irritation
Factors to Consider Before Buying Best men’s Boxer Briefs for Hiking
There are many different things to consider when buying a good quality pair of hiking underpants, mainly the material, the cut, and design, as well as the odor-resistant qualities and how durable they are on longer hikes.
For the most part, there are two possible choices when it comes to materials for hiking underwear. The first is merino wool, a natural fiber. The second is synthetic fibers, primarily nylon or polyester.
In brief, though, both have great moisture-wicking properties, are quick-drying, and will keep you insulated when wet.
The upside of merino is that it is soft, naturally odor-resistant, and feels nicer against the skin when damp. The downside of merino is that it is expensive and less durable.
The upside of synthetics is that they are less expensive and more durable. But the downside is that they aren’t as soft as merino and — although they dry slightly faster than merino — they don’t feel particularly nice against the skin when wet.
When it comes to design, always choose underwear that has flatlock seams. This will help to prevent chaffing. If possible, you also want to avoid any seams in places that may rub under the pressure of your backpack. For example, a seam or label at the center-back of the waistband can sometimes be irritating if your backpack is rubbing on it.
Ideally, you want underwear that will be durable. But durability is an area you may need to consider a trade-off. Synthetics are likely to be more durable than merino wool, so you need to simply decide which factors are most important to you.
Merino wool is naturally odor-resistant, so if you opt for merino undies then that will just be an added benefit of the part and parcel.
Unfortunately, synthetics don’t offer the same perks. Some manufacturers treat synthetic fibers with an antimicrobial coating to increase odor-resistance, so that is something you may want to look out for. However, antimicrobial treatments don’t always live up to their promises, and they will fade after repeated washing anyway. So don’t let that be a big sway factor in your decision.
Boxer briefs more resemble shorts and usually cling snugly to the upper leg. You want to avoid having a boxer brief that is too tight to avoid sweat build-up, however, you also want boxers that aren’t too loose as they can snag and rub against your body, which may chafe over a long period, although this is rare. Feel free to share our post with your friends and family members and support us.