Are WIFI baby Monitors Safe?
A newborn is a bundle of joy to any parent. As a result, you must ensure to keep your little one safe at all times. However, keeping a close eye on your infant might prove a little hard if you only rely on your two eyes or those of your partner. Fortunately, technology has paved the way for baby products that let you monitor your baby closely using wi-fi baby monitors.
The most popular products are baby monitors. They’ve been around since the 1930s, but they have gained popularity over the last couple of years. Today, baby monitors feature more advanced features, unlike traditional products like a simple radio system.
You can now find monitors with video capability, allowing you to see all the activities in your baby’s nursery. Others feature wi-fi technology, and you can find plenty of them on the market. However, most parents have concerns if a wi-fi baby monitor is a safe alternative. If you have had the same worries, read on to find out more about such devices. We will detail all you need to know about wi-fi monitors so that you can establish if they are safe for your baby or not.
How does a wi-fi baby monitor work?
Usually, for a baby monitor to work, it has to have a transmitter and a receiver. The two gadgets pass signals between each other, allowing you to hear or see your baby. You have to place the transmitter in the baby’s room while the receiver stays in your hands or the caregiver’s hands. A majority of baby monitors have compact handheld receivers, which allow you to move from one room to the next with ease.
A wi-fi monitor is a wireless gadget, and that means that its camera connects to the parent unit/receiver through your wi-fi connection. For you to receive signals, you need to have a stable or excellent internet connection.
Why do you need to purchase a wi-fi baby monitor?
Wi-fi baby monitors have become a popular option among most parents and caregivers because they contribute to your young one’s safety. For this reason, you should look towards getting one for your infant.
Wi-fi baby monitors feature the latest technology, which gives you the flexibility you need in monitoring your baby. What’s more, distance is not an issue because these monitors allow you to stream videos from any place as long as you have an internet connection.
You might also want to get a wi-fi baby monitor because it gives you peace of mind, allowing you to concentrate on other tasks even when your baby is sleeping. It is a suitable tool for parents who have a busy lifestyle.
How to protect your baby monitor from hackers
If it’s poorly secured, an internet-enabled device could be vulnerable to a hacker, potentially giving a stranger access to see inside your home. Unfortunately, paying more for your wi-fi baby monitor doesn’t automatically mean it’s not prone to hacking.
These six privacy tips will help to keep your devices secure:
- Set up your camera with a strong password that’s not used elsewhere. Don’t use default passwords as they may already be known to hackers.
- Take a look at the default settings and dig around to check you’ve activated all the security features available. Two-factor authentication is a valuable feature to look out for.
- Check for any security software updates for the camera and app regularly and make sure to install them. In some cases, you can enable automatic updates.
- Make sure your internet router or modem is secure (change any default passwords and install updates).
- Turn off remote access to your baby monitor if you don’t need it.
- If you’re using your smartphone app as a baby monitor, check the security settings and set a password if you can.
Benefits and downsides of wi-fi baby monitors
Wi-fi baby monitors present you and your baby with a wide array of advantages. Here are some of the main benefits that might prompt you to get one for your baby.
- You do not need to have a handheld receiver to watch your baby wherever you are. These monitors connect to multiple devices such as smartphones or tablets, allowing you to hear or see your baby.
- If you have a busy lifestyle or work life, you can still manage to check on your baby when you leave a babysitter in charge, courtesy of the cameras that come with these gadgets.
- A majority of the models have cameras with night vision mode, which allows you to monitor your baby even under low light conditions.
- Other wi-fi baby monitors enable multiple users to connect to the nursery unit, making it possible for friends, aunts, and girlfriends to check on your baby when you’re not in a position to.
- Wi-fi baby monitors feature no cords, which eliminates the danger of your baby getting strangled by wires.
- They give you peace of mind, allowing you to enjoy a restful night’s sleep. You don’t need to get out of bed every time to check on your infant.
- Most have a compact design, and they are pretty portable
Like most devices, wi-fi baby monitors also have some disadvantages, which could affect the efficiency of monitoring your little bundle of joy. Here are some of the weaknesses that we found.
- You cannot use these gadgets if you have a poor network connection or when the internet goes down
- They are more costly compared to other baby monitors
- Your wi-fi baby monitor may encounter interference from other wireless and electronic devices in your home
- They are vulnerable to hacking attempts, putting your baby at significant risk.
Should you worry about radiation?
Frankly, every parent gets worried about baby monitors exposing his or her baby to radiation. The concern intensifies more when it comes to wi-fi baby monitors because they transmit signals wirelessly. However, you need to know that there is inadequate research indication that wi-fi signals can bring about radiation exposure to infants.
A wi-fi baby monitor can help you check on your baby effectively because most models feature advanced features that serve this purpose. Most of these devices provide a secure way to monitor your baby, but others are prone to hacking. However, you can keep these hacking attempts off by employing valuable tips such as securing your wi-fi network and keeping up with all firmware updates.